6 Tips for Choosing THE Gown
Something I see a lot of Brides deal with on her Wedding day is a dress that is not comfortable, or it needs to held up constantly, or it is too long. It is a big deal to be uncomfortable on the biggest day of your life so here are a few tips to help you select the perfect dress!
1. Go with what you know. You know you love a halter look on you, then go with what you usually find flattering on you. If you like cup sleeves then the same goes there. Your personal style should reflect in the dress, going too far from your usual comfort zone can make the dress not feel like "home" especially after 12 hours in it. The style you are used to will feel familiar and comfortable to you... go with that.
2. The best length is a dress you can dance in that ends exactly at the floor. Any longer and you will trip over it every time you forget to grab the front of the gown.
3. Same length goes for the bustle, having something hang behind you while you are dancing will cause people to step on it all night and I have seen many brides get snagged and jostled from someone stepping on her dress. Also, Bustle the dress prior to the start of the reception. it can take 20 minutes out of a 4 hour reception to button it up, so either practice bustling the dress prior to the big day or do it during the Cocktail Hour.
4. When you first put on the dress does it bother you in ANY way? Do those straps itch AT ALL? Do they dig into your shoulders AT ALL If so, then they will torture you after many hours wearing it so scan yourself in the dress and see how soft the interior of it is. Is the material hard and scratchy on your legs? Is there a seam on your hips that rubs on your skin?
5. And as much as it may be weird to add this tidbit into this article it must be said. Can you get to the bathroom wearing your dress? I have seen instances where 4 or 5 ladies are in a bathroom with the bride holding a train and crinoline up over a brides head in a tiny bathroom and I have to tell you its no easy task! Plan ahead and think about where you will be during that day and have a plan of action!
6. Finally, and this should be a blog post on its own because this is one of the most critical aspects of your day ...GET COMFORTABLE SHOES. No one will care about the cute crystal jem on the shoes they cannot see under your dress, but you will care if your feet hurt. You need to stay in your wedding shoes all day so be comfortable. You cant take your shoes off because your gown will be too long and that just dosent look good. Wear sneaker heels if thats what it takes for you to rock the day. Dont be held back by discomfort!! and think ahead!